Saturday, September 29, 2012

Build Your Faith and Trust in God: Study the Names of God!


by Lois Breneman - 2012 - Heart to Heart
As believers, we are in a personal relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ.  It's pretty amazing that Someone like God would want us to draw near to Him, isn't it?  But He does!  When I find myself worrying about circumstances that I can't control, studying the Names of God and His attributes encourages and builds up my faith helping me trust my all powerful and caring Lord so much more.
 
The NAME OF THE LORD is a strong tower;  the righteous run into it and is safe. ~ Jeremiah 17:14
El Shaddai: All-Sufficient One
El Roi:  The God Who Sees
El Elyon: The Most High God
Elohim: Creator; The Lord is One
Adonai: Your Lord; Your Master
Jehovah: The Self-Existent One
Jehovah-Jireh: The Lord will provide
Jehovah-Nissi: The Lord our Banner (He will fight for us)
Jehovah-Shalom: The Lord is Peace
Jehovah-Rapha: The Lord that heals
Jehovah-Tsidkenu: The Lord our Righteousness
Jehovah-Mekoddishkem:  The Lord Sanctifies
Jehovah-Shammah: The Lord is Ever Present
Jehovah-Raah: The Lord my Shepherd
Jehovah-Sabaoth: The Lord of Hosts
Kay Arthur has written a wonderful devotional study on the Names of God entitled, Lord, I Want to Know You.  A good exercise would be to take just one Name of God a day and write in a notebook how the truth of that attribute would manifest itself in our everyday life if and when we allow that truth to take effect.

A Great Idea
Thanks to Lisa Weddle in Virginia for this!  I'm going to do this!  I know there are so many Names of God throughout the Bible!

Thanks for your article on the names of God. About a year ago I started writing down the names of God as I read them in the Bible. I finally  bought a small notebook and put one letter of the alphabet on each page. Now as I find names of God while I read, I put them in my little notebook. So far I have found over 300. It has been an excellent study on God's character and attributes. It is also great way to remember His attributes as I give God praise while I pray.


Here's a Start to Our Notebooks, ladies!


 The Vine ~ I am the vine, you are the branches: He that abides in me, and I in him, the same brings forth much fruit; for without me you can do nothing. ~ John 15:5
This is a photo taken on a mountain ten minutes from our home in September, 2012.  You will find more vineyard photos at the bottom of this blog that I took that same week.

No comments: