Friday, January 7, 2011

Chelseas's Story

by Janelle Burkholder, a Heart to Heart friend in Pennsylvania.

In May, 1994, an acquaintance of ours had a 13 year old daughter who died from a brain tumor. In the days thereafter God gave me the words to a poem, a letter written to a Mom from her daughter in Heaven. Only God could have known that 14 years later I would be the Mom who needed comfort after the death of our own 4-1/2 year old daughter, Chelsea. When Chelsea was 26 months old she was diagnosed with a cancerous tumor. Although she initially responded well to treatment and was given an 80% chance of cure, God had plans for her life and ours that were beyond what we could see.

Throughout the 28 months of Chelsea's battle with cancer she was admitted to the hospital 27 times, but she was still a happy, smiley little girl and had one of those infectious smiles and sparkling eyes that captivated everyone's heart. Chelsea’s journey with cancer ended on January 25, 2008, but for us as Chelsea's family the journey with her cancer is not over, it only took a bend in the road. Our journey continues as we grieve her absence, but we do not grieve without hope. Our hope is found in the fact that even though Chelsea can not come back to us, we can go to her. We did not lose a child, she is simply sent ahead.


Now as I think about Chelsea in Heaven I often remember how, just about four weeks before her death, she told me that since she goes to the hospital a lot she might die, and that when she goes to Heaven she is going to play with Collin, a little boy who also died from cancer. Before Chelsea died she said that she saw “people up there“ and “people in Heaven”. Although she was not able to tell us more about what she experienced at that point, we believe that Collin must have been there to welcome Chelsea into Heaven and join her as she met Jesus face to face!

Dear Mom,
I know right now it's hard to think that I am really gone,
That I'll no longer be around to fill my empty room,
With all those pretty, girlish things I used to love so dear,
But really, Mom, I'd have to say, they simply don't compare,
To all the beauties of this place I now can call my home,
With Jesus here, my friend so dear, I'll never be alone.
The walls are made of jasper, Mom, I've never seen the likes,
With streets of gold and gates of pearl, His beauty shines so bright.
The angel host sings all the time, their praises to the Lamb,
His glory shines on ev'ry face, I can't believe how blessed I am!
So please, Dear Mom, don't fret too much, about my going on,
You made the life I had on earth, the very greatest one,
Those special mem'ries that you have, of things we said and did,
Will never let us really part, for in your heart they're hid.
Please rest assured I'm doing fine, here in this wondrous place,
And with the healing of some time, a smile will come back to your face.
Remember, Mom, we'll meet again, I know we will some day,
When time for you shall also end, we'll be together then for aye!

No comments: