Friday, January 7, 2011

Bedtime Routines

by Julie Druck, York, PA, Editor of a free newsletter, "A Heart for Home," shares this tip.  Used by permission
To subscribe, send a blank e-mail to:  aheartforhome-subscribe@welovegod.org 


A friend asked if I would write an article about bedtime routines for kids. We’ve actually done quite a variety of things, so I’ve made a list of different books we’ve read and things we’ve done as we tuck our boys into their beds. My husband and I see bedtime as such an awesome opportunity for tradition and training (as Marty puts it). Making time to spend a few special, quality minutes every night before bed helps to create a wonderful sense of security for children. No matter what has happened through the day, our boys know that every night we will be there to end their day with them. Bedtime is also a great time for training as well. It’s a time to calm down, relax and listen and learn for a few minutes. Not only do the boys learn, but so do we - I’ve probably learned more about my children during those few quiet moments with them than at any other time because I’m really listening. If you need a fresh idea or want to start a tradition, perhaps you’ll find something below to help. I challenge you to invest a few minutes daily with some one-on-one time and an ear to listen - you’ll never regret it.

* When the boys were very young, we would read a story from the book "My Bedtime Anytime Storybook" by V. Gilbert Beers each night. This book contains short stories about a group of lovable animals who have adventures that teach children about different character traits. The boys loved this book, and we still pull it out from time to time.

* At other times, Marty has read to them straight out of his Bible. He explains things to them and asks them questions or answers theirs. I believe he’s read part of Proverbs to them and parts of Exodus - he’s taught them the 10 Commandments and also the plagues of Egypt.

* We have read from "The Children’s Daily Devotional Bible" by Thomas Nelson Publishers which is, of course, a Bible written more to their level. We would read a chapter each night and discuss it - they like looking at the pictures.

* Right now I’ve been reading from "Keys for Kids" which is a great little devotional put out by the Children’s Bible Hour. I read a short Scripture passage and a story that relates to it plus questions each morning while the boys eat their breakfast. At one time I did this before bed but recently I’ve switched to doing this devotion in the morning. Each "Keys for Kids" contains two months’ worth of stories. You can get their free bi-monthly copies on their website at
www.cbhministries.org. I had a little trouble figuring out how to order it on the site, so I’m including directions about how to get to the order form: when the web page comes up, click on Ministry Materials, you will then see a paragraph which includes the words "Keys for Kids" in blue, click on that, scroll down on this next page until you see some more blue words - "Contact Page," click there and then you will see a list of staff names, find Sharon Moore and click on the words beside her name - "Order Keys for Kids." This will take you to an order form. If you have trouble, contact me and I’ll help you figure it out!

* I got an idea that I just love from a friend and have recently started putting it into practice again. I go to each boy’s room and spend about 5-10 minutes with each one individually. I ask them their favorite part of the day and their least favorite part. They talk about whatever they want, and we have a short prayer. Marty does this with the boys as well - we take turns going into their rooms. This time has become a special blessing to all of us, and I know that the boys love spending time alone with Mommy and Daddy.

* Another thing the boys love is when I either make up stories or tell them stories of things they did when they were younger. They think it is so funny to hear the silly things they did. I’ve also read to them from my journal - they love hearing about themselves and it brings back wonderful memories for me. In addition, they enjoy hearing stories of things that Daddy and Mommy did when we were kids.

* A tradition (and training!) that Marty started long ago has been to ask two specific questions to each of our boys every night. Those questions are "Why do I love you?" and "Who do you represent?" When Mard asks each boy the first question, they always answer: "Because I’m Benjamin," or "Because I’m Caleb." He wants them to understand that he loves them simply because of who they are. He correlates that to the reason God loves us - simply because we are His. God’s love for us doesn’t change based on the good deeds we did that day or on the rotten stuff we did that day. Marty wants the boys to know that his love for them is consistent and unchanging. The answer to the second question - "Who do you represent?" - is "Daddy." Just as we are representatives of Christ in the things that we do and say, Marty uses himself as an example that the boys can watch to see how to "flesh out" being a Christian. When they see what Daddy does and try to imitate him, they are being representatives of him and ulimately of the Lord.

* One last thing I’ll mention is for the few times that I’m out in the evening and don’t have the opportunity to put the boys to bed. Before I go to bed, I go in each room, put their covers back on them, and gently lay my hand on their sleeping heads to pray for them. They look so dear when they’re re-charging their  batteries! I also pray each night before I fall asleep that God would protect them, help them to feel safe, guard their minds against bad dreams and evil thoughts and that they would know that He is always there to comfort them.

No comments: