Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Influential Books that Have Brought Many to the Lord and Other Influential Life-Changing Books


compiled by Lois Breneman - 2007 - Heart to Heart

A great big THANKS to all the subscribers who responded to my request for titles and authors of books that led you or others to the Lord, as well as other influential books that impacted your lives.  The following is the result of all your help!  The purpose for this list is to give a display of suggested books from which to choose that we might want to give unbelieving relatives and friends to read.  We may want to read some as well.

A Man Called Peter by Catherine Marshall
I was saved as an 18 year old young woman through reading A Man Called Peter by Catherine Marshall.  I wrote her a letter ( she has since gone on to be with the Lord in heaven) and told her of my experience and she wrote me back!  I treasure her letter!! ~ Debbie Flack in Virginia

Letter from Catherine Marshall to Debbie Flack, dated Oct. 16, 1974 :

 "What a glorious meeting you had with our Risen Lord there in that little church in North Carolina! His light and His truth shine through the words of your letter and I cannot begin to tell you how deeply I appreciate your being led to share your experience with me and letting me know that A MAN CALLED PETER and BEYOND OURSELVES were a small part of your entering in. It never ceases to amaze me how the Spirit of God can reach directly down through the printed page to one of His beloved children and bestow the particular insight or blessing that is needed at that time. For this I constantly praise and thank Him!"        

(Catherine goes on to say that I can still hear Peter Marshall preach through some recordings that were made ( and she enclosed a sheet about that) and she said that her "new" book SOMETHING MORE, was just beginning to appear in the bookstores.)  
                 "Again, thank you for that wonderful letter, I shall treasure it.
                                   Warmly and sincerely,
                                    Catherine Marshall "   
    

              
Beyond Ourselves by Catherine Marshall - My grandpa (Papa) died when I was 20 and everyone said that he went to heaven.  That made me want to go to heaven, too, so I could see my Papa again.  I started searching, reading, and asking a lot of questions.  About three months later while reading "Beyond Ourselves" by Catherine Marshall, the Lord showed me very clearly how I could be born again.  I knelt right then and prayed the prayer of salvation just as it was written in the book. I am looking forward to meeting Catherine in heaven someday and personally thanking her for her devotion in spreading the truth of God's love, grace and forgiveness. - Rachael Breneman

Left Behind by Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins (the first book in the series) - Joanna (Joey) Claycomb in Virginia said this book got her to thinking, which led to her salvation.

Left Behind by Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins - I think the "Left Behind" series are the best books for salvation messages -- the way to salvation is written over and over again in these novels and a reader cannot miss the message of salvation. ~ Sharon  in New Jersey

The Late Great Planet Earth by Hal Lindsey
Bob Saville in Virginia accepted Christ as his Savior through reading this book.

Desiring God by John Piper - I've been a Christian since I was a little girl, but this book brought me to a full repentance and assurance of salvation. ~ Hannah Babiak in Wisconsin, Mom to 8 precious blessings.

Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis - Chuck Colson said in his biography that he came to the Lord after Watergate when reading this book.  I just read it and it was a fantastic explanation of the Christian faith using beautiful imagery. - Mary Lou Graham in Florida

Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis - A friend of mine who is a psychiatrist became a Christian as a direct result of reading this book.  He recommended it as a book to give a non-believer who is "intellectual."  This man became a Christian close to 20 years ago.  I saw him about a month ago and asked him if he was still following Christ, and he said, "Yes." ~ Debi Ethredge in Mississippi 

Evidence That Demands A Verdict by John McDowell - I've heard many reports of people coming to Christ through reading this book. ~ Lois

More Than A Carpenter by Josh McDowell - In college, I had a couple of friends tell me they became a Christian by reading this book.  ~ Angie Rangel in Tennessee

Ragamuffin Gospel by Brennan Manning definitely qualifies as the above. I have given copies of it to unsaved family members, and although none have taken the final step toward Christ yet, I believe the book is instrumental in showing the glorious grace of God. ~ Mary Ann Kelley in Virginia

Salvation Crystal Clear by Curtis Hutson has been greatly used of God to bring literally tens of thousands to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ. ~ Sherry Camperson in Georgia

The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel, an intellectual atheist who set out trying to prove there is no God.  Instead he came to grips with the truth in God's Word, and accepted Christ as his Lord and Savior.  Many people have come to Christ through reading this book. ~ Lois


OTHER INFLUENTIAL LIFE-CHANGING BOOKS
            
Me? Obey Him? by Elizabeth Rice Hanford - One of the books that really changed my walk with God is entitled, Me? Obey Him? by Elizabeth Rice Hanford.  I reluctantly took this book as a Bible study under a lady who became my mentor in NC.  I had prayed out to God to "help me" and I believe the teaching in this book is an answer to that prayer.  This book so hit me that I had to talk with the author to see if this was all real.  Mrs. Hanford invited me to her house in SC and a friendship blossomed out of that.  "Me? Obey Him?" changed my life and my marriage. ~ Penny Yonts in Virginia

No Compromise by Keith Green - A powerful story of Keith Green, the Christian singer/songwriter whose ministry during the Jesus Movement and beyond, brought thousands to the Lord.  He died with at least two of his children in a plane crash in 1981.  His story and life inspired me to live more simply and to give as unto the Lord. - A North Carolina subscriber

Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis is a classic by someone who sees through our clever faces of religiosity and gets to the point of what Jesus is all about.  Should be read once a year. - A North Carolina subscriber

People of the Lie by M. Scott Peck helped me to see that I was in a legalistic cult. - A subscriber

Narnia series - C.S. Lewis helped me to fall in love with the Lord again. - A subscriber

The Calvary Road
by Roy Hession
- had a great impact on my Christian life, drawing me closer to the Lord. - Lois

Stepping Heavenward
by Mrs. Elizabeth Prentiss and The Shaping of a Christian Family by Elisabeth Elliot
both really changed my attitude about being a wife and mother.  Both books taught me that being a wife and a mother is my calling ... God's plan for my life.  There is, to me, no greater task than being a wife and mother. - Barb Campbell in Mississippi

A Mary's Heart in a Martha World by Joanna Weaver taught me a lot about sitting at Jesus' feet and soaking up His Word and His presence ... not  getting caught up in the distractions of this world and ignoring my time with Him each day. - Barb Campbell in Mississippi

Meeting God at Every Turn
by Catherine Marshall
- This book tracks Catherine's spiritual autobiography from childhood to grandmotherhood.  It helped me in dealing with my mother's long illness with cancer and was a comfort as I grieved for her and missed her so, even though I knew she was in her heavenly home and free from pain and suffering.  It reassured me that God is with me in every circumstance - at every turn in my life. - Lois

Go for the Gold
by Sherry H. Camperson
  
Order in the Court by Sherry H. Camperson
In His Steps by Charles Monroe Sheldon - Several years ago, I read "In His Steps" by Charles Monroe Sheldon and this really put a different perspective on how I live my life. ~ Nancy Batdorf in Ohio

Safely Home
by Randy Alcorn
- A fiction book, based on truth, that truly moved me and encouraged me in my faith.   It looks at the persecuted church in China in comparison to the church of the west.  This book convicted me about the comfortable life I live here in the US.  My trials are truly trivial compared to many believers in other countries.  I take for granted my church, the fact that I have a choice of churches, open free worship, have a Bible, being able to speak freely about my faith.  It is very, very good.  I think all Christians should read this one. - Barb Campbell in Mississippi


Snare of the Fowler
by Tom Taylor - One lady said her hands became so shaky reading the last chapters of this book that she had to prop the book open with paperweights to finish it.


None Among the Gods by Tom Taylor - Several readers reported staying up all night to finish reading this book.  Others gave testimony of learning things about missions that they never knew.


The Sin Bearer
by Tom Taylor
- A friend said his mother (a 93 year-old widow of a retired United Methodist minister) saw the book while staying at his house, and read it there.  She said she learned things she hadn't known before, and insisted on taking it home so she could take notes and look up scriptures.  Other members of his family are now passing it around; and he still hasn't had a chance to read it.  The novel is one of the most powerful and persuasive art forms we have, and Christians should certainly make use of it to exalt the name of Jesus and draw people to him.  The three novels above by Tom Taylor are somewhat unique in that men and women both seem to enjoy and benefit from reading them. 


You can read sample passages of Tom Taylor's books at www.iluvgoodnovels.com.
  Several of his articles and essays can also be seen there - about evolution, the separation of church and state, the ten commandments, the Da Vinci Code, and others, which will be updated periodically.

No comments: