Monday, December 27, 2010

Precious Gems

It makes me wonder if we have been working on manners too hard when I am choking on a dry piece of crust and my 2-year old is fussing at me to say "Excuse me!" :) - Meagan in North Carolina

My 4 year old just asked if we could go iceberg skating! ~ Angela in Virginia


My 4 year old son, Jeremiah, calls apple crisp "Apple Christmas!" ~ Sarah in Virginia



The next two are from Lorna in Virginia ~
        This is a snippet of conversation between Rachel (age 4) and myself that was sparked by the discovery that there was no linguine in the cupboard to go with dinner.
Me: "Oh well, perhaps it's for the best.  Daddy said that too much pasta upsets his tummy."
Rachel: "It doesn't upset my tummy!"
Me: "Maybe we could have baked potatoes instead."
Rachel: "But I like pasta.  God made me that way!  He didn't make Daddy..." (Pause.)
Me: "Oh?  So who made Daddy?"
Rachel: "China."
Me: "Daddy was made in China?"
Rachel: "Yes!"
        At this point I could no longer keep a straight face.  Nor could her older brother, Edward.  I told my husband, Dave, while we were eating some delicious baked potatoes with our dinner, and he was highly amused too.

       We call Hannah (age 2) Hailey so often, that she corrects us without even having to think about it!  Poor kid!  A brief excerpt from a conversation between Hannah and her Daddy:
Hannah: "Thank you!"
Dave: "You're welcome."
Hannah: "I'm Hannah!"
       
My 2 year old granddaughter, Ryan Elizabeth, told her mom she wanted "cap-up" for a snack (ketchup)! ~ Lois

We're keeping our two oldest grandchildren from out-of-state for four days - and loving it!  As I write this, the first fun and busy day has come to a close.  But two year old Ryan Elizabeth did not want to go to bed at the designated time and cried in her porta-crib for a minute when her big brother, Justin, 6, whispered to me outside of her bedroom, "I know how to get Ryan to sleep.  I've done it before!"  I asked him what he did to get her to sleep, and he told me, "I just talked to her and sang to her, and she settled down and went to sleep."  So he sweetly did just that, and she really did go to sleep for him in only a few minutes!  Later he told me it is a skill.  True!  What a gem of a Big Brother!  And a gem of a grandson! ~ Lois

No comments: