Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Learning How to Sew

by Lois Breneman - 2010

What an inspiration it is for me to see young women learning how to sew and doing such a fantastic job!  I would encourage you to at least give it a good try.  A sweet young mother, Aimee Joy, the daughter of a good friend of mine, began sewing when she had a baby girl a few years ago, and has mastered the art of making gorgeous and fun dresses and outfits for Lily Joy.  She has even learned how to do beautiful smocking.  Seeing the pictures of Lily in those darling outfits, photographed by her Grammee, Jan, is so encouraging to me, since I love not only sewing but photography as well!

When my children were little I also enjoyed sewing for my daughter and two sons - little dresses for my daughter and little rompers, pants, and shirts for our sons, as well as jammies and bathing suits for them all.  A few times I made matching dresses for my little daughter and myself, and leisure suit jackets for my husband and four year old son when they were in style back in the seventies.

Making quite a few dresses and formals for my daughter throughout high school made it possible for her to wear styles and colors that she liked, and not only was it a savings, but fun as well.  I was honored when she asked me to make her wedding gown later, but with all the other detailed wedding plans and work to do, I opted out for a more stress-free time, especially when thinking of all the beading around the bodice seams, and remembering what a job it was to make my own wedding gown and the bridesmaids' dresses one summer years before.  The gown she chose was breathtakingly beautiful anyway.  These days there are many patterns for weddings and formals available though - more than ever before, it seems.  I've sewn for several other weddings, and as long as beads don't cover the gown, sewing a wedding dress is not that complicated.

If you are interested in opportunities to take sewing classes, call a fabric store for details or possibly a friend or relative could teach you.  This is also a website that may be helpful, http://www.threadsmagazine.com/teach-yourself-to-sew, although it is always good to have someone show you how in person.  I learned how to sew from my mother and made my first clothing item, a skirt, in 4-H Club at the age of ten.  If a ten year old can learn how, I know you can!  Just begin with something very simple and go from there.  You can get a good used or brand new sewing machine on sale for under $150 that will do at least a straight and zig-zag stitch, and with those options, the possibilities are endless! 

Just think of all the home decorating and gift items you can make!  It's a fun and rewarding skill to have, and sewing is something that many can do as an enjoyable hobby far into retirement.  My ninety-three year old mother-in-law sewed all her life, not only for her family, but in her later years she had sewn over a thousand little dresses for children in poverty who needed clothes, using her skill to benefit others.

Beyond the sewing of clothing for children and adults, home decorating and gift making, there is a whole other fabulous world of quilting, machine embroidery, serging, and crafts.  So the possibilities are truly endless!  And besides all of that, it is such fun!

Here is an easy way to begin!  Learn how to turn two and one half yards of flannel into a receiving blanket for your own baby or to give as a gift: http://www.achristianhome.org/SEWING_and_Craft_Basket/Sewing%20and%20CraftsINDEX.htm

No comments: