Monday, December 27, 2010

Eight Tips for the Foodie in You

©Copyright 2010 Mary Hunt - Everyday Cheapskate is a Registered Trademark - Used by permission

Fresh corn on the cob would be summer's perfect offering if it weren't for those annoying husks. It's a lot of work to get them off cleanly, including the fine silk threads. Read on to learn how to make shucking corn a lot easier.

Quick corn. A quick and easy way to cook corn on the cob is to put it in a 350-degree oven, husks and all. Don't bother preheating the oven or soaking and peeling the corn. Cook it from a cold oven for 25 minutes. When it's done, the husks peel off easily. I like to put chili powder and a little lime zest into the butter that I serve with it. Jo M., Ohio
(Note from Lois: Our grocery store supplies a large trash can setting right next to the corn on the cob, for those who would rather husk their corn in the store.  I do that and it saves lots of mess and trash at home.)


Banana pudding. I have an easy, healthy no-cook dessert: Peel two bananas per serving. Cut them into pieces and place in a food processor. Add one teaspoon of cocoa powder per banana, adjust to taste and blend until smooth. This makes a mousse-like chocolate pudding. If you freeze the bananas first, the result is like chocolate ice cream. Add nuts, and you've got rocky road. My granddaughters love it. Sandy, e-mail

Produce Princess. By the end of the summer, I have more produce from my garden than we can consume. I chop zucchini, summer squash, green peppers, onions and celery. Then, I put them in quart or gallon-size freezer bags so I have an abundant supply of colorful vegetables all year. Sometimes, I make my own stir-fry mixes just like the ones that you can buy at the store. This has cut my annual produce cost, especially in the winter months, and it helps us eat more healthful meals. Sheila P., Utah

Easy Cherry.
The pointed end of a potato peeler works to get the seed out of a cherry. Just push it in the stem end and pull out the seed. Karen I., Minnesota

Breezy Butter. I was out of spreadable butter with olive oil, so I made my own. I mixed 1/4 cup olive oil with 1 pound of softened butter. Be sure to refrigerate. Constance K., California  (Note from Lois: I make this butter and find that the container in use keeps very well when not refrigerated, and is much easier to spread.)

Tuna Melt. My mother always crumbled potato chips on top of her tuna casserole. Then, she put cheese on it and baked it for a few minutes just to brown the top. It gave it a nice crunch! April P., e-mail
Smart Nut. Last week at the store, all they had were nuts that were salted or completely unsalted. Since I prefer lightly salted, I bought a jar of each, mixed them together, and rebottled them. The mixture is just right! Judy S., Oklahoma

Spinach
Squeeze. My favorite way to squeeze moisture from thawed spinach used in recipes is to do this: Stab the sides and bottom of the spinach box with a steak knife. Then, squeeze the box firmly until no more green juice runs out. Then, you have dry spinach to use in your recipe when you open the box. Jeanne, Ohio

No comments: