Wednesday, August 3, 2011

More Timely Tips

from The Dollar Stretcher - www.stretcher.com - Used by permission from Gary Foreman
 
Generating Extra Cash ~ Do not throw out your used printer ink cartridges, toner cartridges, and cell phones. You can easily sell them. Google "used ink cartridges" and/or "sell used cell phone," and you'll find multiple companies that buy them. Compare prices because they vary. Some offer free shipping if you send enough at once. For cell phones, be sure to remove any personal information, deactivate the phone, and remove SIM card (if any). If you are associated with a large organization or know someone who is, this method of generating some income can be more than an occasional thing. ~ Joe 
 
Back to School Savings ~ Around the middle of September, the big box stores will have their school supplies on clearance. Watch for it, and you can stock up for the middle of the year and possibly next year. And watch for your regional library's surplus sale. I went this year and couldn't believe what I found. I stocked up on binders for a dime, file folders for a penny each, index cards, and report covers. It was amazing! I'm looking forward to next year. ~ Melissa
editor's note: With the start of school just around the corner, be sure to check out our special Back to School Section for some great time- and money-saving ideas.

Band Instruments ~ Reducing the Cost of band instruments

Changing Bath and Kitchen Countertop Colors ~ I remodeled my bathroom not long ago, and we had yucky brown swirl countertops. I started by sanding them lightly and then applied three coats of enamel paint. I used high gloss for a good, deep shine. Depending on the color that you are covering up and the color you are using, you may only need two coats, but I was covering brown with white. I decided to add some decorative touches as well, and I cut out portions of my wall border and placed them onto the dry counter. I then covered the cutouts and the countertop with three layers of clear polyurethane. It has lasted for several months with no scratches or marks at all in a highly used bathroom. I am thrilled with how it turned out. ~ Christy
Additional Dollar Stretcher Resource: More on changing color on countertops

No comments: