Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Lost and Found


by Mary Lynn Barrett - Used by permission


I have a special treasure given to me by a faithful missionary that represents the love of our Lord and her love. It is a set of nesting dolls from the Ukraine with different scenes of the life of Christ exquisitely hand-painted on each one. The largest one is His birth, and the descending sizes show His baptism, His prayer in the garden, and His crucifixion. The smallest one is only about 1 1/2 inches tall and is a solid piece of wood with Christ ascending into heaven delicately painted on it. When my grandson, Noah, was four years old, it was always a special joy for him to be able to gently hold the wooden "dolls" as we talked about the paintings on each one.

One day Noah wanted to keep the tiniest Jesus with him to play. That day Jesus did everything... He sat with Noah as they watched TV, rode around in Noah's pocket as he scampered through the house, and even was asked by Noah to say the blessing at lunch!!!! (Jesus prayed silently so Noah prayed out loud!!!) There was only one problem. Somewhere in the course of the day, Jesus got misplaced. When it was time for Noah to head home, the precious carved Jesus was nowhere to be found. We looked high and low, to no avail. As I headed out to Noah's car to help load his toys and bag, Noah came running out the door excitedly hollering..."I found Jesus! I found Jesus!"

As pleased as I was that my special treasure once again had all its parts, I was even more pleased as I envisioned the day when Noah would personally know and exclaim with a different kind of excitement... "I found Jesus! I found Jesus!" I pray for the day when all six of my grandchildren will personally ask Jesus to be their Savior and Lord. I thank the Lord for the privilege of sharing Jesus with my grandchildren.... whether through big hugs, Bible lessons, memory verses, prayer time, or "lost and found" treasures! 


(Mary Lynn Barrett, a retired oncology and hospice nurse, resides in Elliston, VA, and is married to Dave. They have 4 grown children and 6 grandchildren. She is presently serving as the International Auxiliary Chaplain for Gideons International.)

No comments: