Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Teething Tips for Babies and Toddlers


by Lois Breneman - Heart to Heart - August, 2014

You might want to print out this article and tape it to the inside of your kitchen cabinet! 
Grandmas, this is for you as well,  for times when you babysit or have your families visiting.

A screaming baby or toddler, because of teething discomfort, can set the entire family on edge, especially when you can't seem to find anything that eases the gum irritation for your precious little one.  Many times rocking, bouncing, walking the floor with him, or diverting his attention just doesn't cut it.  Night time teething is especially difficult when the parents often get robbed of their much-needed rest.  I saw a cute onsie in a store the other day that said, "Nobody gets to sleep until I say so!"  In that case, I'll try to help you fill your teething remedy arsenal with possible solutions.


Around three months of age a baby usually begins teething, and by the time he is three years old, twenty baby teeth will have broken through his gums.  Ouch!  Symptoms of teething are drooling, irritability, loss of appetite, having trouble sleeping, tender gums, and chewing on soft and firm objects.  For our babies, I thought the canine teeth were the most difficult.  Some babies and toddlers feel teething irritation more intensely, while others don't seem to be bothered much.

Diluting a drop or two of clove essential oil with olive oil or coconut oil, numbs the gums, and helps to remove severe discomfort of the gums for babies and children.  It works very well for adult tooth irritation as well.  Not all brands of essential oils are safe to use internally though.  I learned at a health food store that even the brands they carried which say 100% pure are not safe to be ingested.  One brand I know that is completely safe to be taken internally, however, is the one I use.

FDA regulations forbid Wellness Advocates or distributors of essential oil companies, as I am, to mention the brand name in their blogs or websites.  We also may not mention names of blends by our company!  What will the government demand next?  So if you want to know specifics, please e-mail me.


Years ago, before I got involved in essential oils, I used frozen fish sticks for my daughter's teething discomfort.  That worked great!  I was willing to put up with the fishy smell when the frozen fish actually calmed down my teething toddler.  It's interesting that she is the one who introduced me to this esssential oil company years later.

A little soft giraffe was the favorite teething toy for all three of our children - easy to grab onto, and the long neck and head were perfect for gnawing on.  Poor giraffe!  There are all kinds of teething toys available that can be kept in the freezer for numbing the irritated gums.

Rolled-up wet baby wash clothes, stored in a plastic bag in the freezer, come in handy and babies love chewing on these, even if they don't last long.

Fruit popsicles, either homemade or bought, help numb the gums. Blend strawberries and bananas for natural sweetness without adding sugar.  If you need to add sweetness to another blend of fruit, use pure stevia.

Lorna Wanner, a mother of five, in Virginia, gave this recommendation:  "I was told of a teething remedy that has proved very effective.  Instead of Oragel, rub a small amount of  liquid Benadryl on the baby's gums.  This worked like nothing else!  But what I didn't realize is that it worked for me as well when I had agony with a tooth myself later."

Many moms have found the "Mesh Feeder" to be a wonderful soothing remedy for teething ittitation.  Another Heart to Heart subscriber, Lauren Britton, a mother of four in Virginia, says, "A frozen banana in a mesh feeder continues to be THE best teething remedy...4 kids tested - 4 kids approved."


Meagan DeLong, mother of four, also in Virginia, says, "I have used the Baltic Amber teething necklaces with my last two babies and I do think they are helpful, although it is hard to judge perfectly since teething discomfort comes and goes. They are just for wearing, not chewing, and the *succinic acid, a naturally occurring component in amber, is absorbed through the skin.  Some moms are afraid to let their babies wear them at night and just use them during the day and that would be the safest, but most moms I know let their babies wear them all the time and I have as well.  The sizing is very important.  You just have to make sure it is not long enough for the baby to notice to be able to grab or chew.  The stones are usually double knotted in between each one so if the necklace breaks, none of the stones fall off. 

Meagan adds, "
I also use Hylands homeopathic teething tablets and if the discomfort is really bad and I know which tooth it is, I will rub Herbs for Kids Gummomile oil on it, as a natural alternative to Oragel.  My favorite teething toy is Zoli Gummy Sticks and I have also used a cold apple, frozen blueberries, and frozen banana in a mesh feeder as well.

Note:
* Baltic Amber teething necklaces are sold by Bouncy Baby Boutique.

They report that it is the succinic acid, a naturally occurring component in amber, that makes it so effective. Succinic acid is a natural teething discomfort reliever, anti-inflammatory, and a central nervous system calmer. It is so effective on babies and small children because it simultaneously eases their pain while also having a strong soothing effect on their nervous system, all with zero side effects!

 
(New FDA regulations do not allow me to mention the brand of essential oils I use or tell more specifically how they help so many "irritations" or "discomforts" in life, since I am a Health Advocate, meaning I get their great discount.  If you would like to know more about the therapeutic grade of essential oils I use and trust, please e-mail me and ask.)

No comments: