Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Romantic Gift Ideas

by Lois Breneman - Heart to Heart - August, 2014

This month my husband and I celebrated out forty-sixth wedding anniversary together, which started me thinking on romantic gift ideas.  I'll be glad to share these with you.

1. Photo shoot for the two of you or a photographed portrait of you as a couple.  One year my husband suggested we get our photo taken on Valentine's Day, before going out for dinner, which I thought was romantic.
2. Horseback riding for just the two of you.  Through the woods or on the beach would be especially fun.
3. Written invitation for dinner at a favorite restaurant or an upscale restaurant where you've never gone
4. Handwritten original poem about your love together
5. Hot air balloon ride.  My dear husband planned this for one of our anniversaries years ago. It was delightful, with breakfast served before our launch!  A memorable time on the "Gorgeous Darl'in" hot air balloon, all planned by John!  Sailing is another activity which we both enjoy as often as possible, and I consider it to be romantic as well.  It costs a lot less too, especially with an old sailboat waiting for us in  back of our house.
6. Car ride with a surprise lunch planned.  We made a day of leisurely cruising on Skyline Drive to see and photograph the gorgeous autumn leaves and we hope to do this again.  This was an especially romantic trip, since my parents honeymooned on Skyline Drive in 1939!
7. Handwritten list of the attributes that attracted you to your spouse in the first place.  Entitle it, "How Do I Love Thee?  Let Me Count the Ways!"  I've saved all of these poems, of course.
8. Handwritten letter about all the things you love about your spouse today, and why you want to grow old together.
9. Rent an RV for a get-away together.
10. Silk sheets and chocolates
11. A personalized CD with your favorite love songs or selecting a piece of art together for your home.
12. A get-away at a Bed and Breakfast.  John also planned a trip at a beautiful bed and breakfast in a beautiful, quaint town for the two of us.

I think it would be romantic to just sit together and go through scrapbooks of your years together. Over the years I have tried to keep up with simple scrapbooks including all our family trips ever since we were married, with all the basics as well as pictures and souvenirs.  I have also made a "Bare Bones List" of all our family vacations, including the dates, destinations, activities, and names of those who went.  That list has been helpful when wondering where we went during a particular year. 

These are just a few ideas you may want to consider to do to add romance to your lives, instead of the usual flowers, jewelry, or dinner.

No comments: