Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Cleaning Air in the Home

by Elizabeth Fenzel Tromm, a subscriber in Virginia - Used by permission
 
When my husband, Rob, became really sick, we started looking at our house very critically-specifically the ventilation and air in the house. It was a super stressful time for me because I honestly felt like our house was slowly killing him, and I had no idea what we were going to do. 
 
I was also worried about our young son, Carter, developing similar problems, since he had had so many respiratory issues when he was born. He is more prone to lung issues. So I got on the internet and started researching, reading, and talking with people who have been through a similar process.
 
We had a lot of work done in the basement. Killing mold that was beginning to grow, closing off holes that were allowing all the basement air into our living space, cleaning air vents and the duct work.
 
I researched air purifiers and uv lights to help clean the air in our house. I researched what houseplants I should have in my house to help clean the air. If you know me, you know that I LOVE my plants, but for 7 years I haven’t had a plant in my house. After my dad died I had a planter that my work gave to me. Eva decided to eat it one day. Turned out it was a poisonous plant and made her tongue prickle and swell up. I threw the whole thing away and never had another house plant. However, they are really good at cleaning the air naturally. Since my children are older now, and usually do not put things in their mouths, I went out and bought some houseplants that were recommended as super air purifiers.
 
The other thing I found that was recommended, and this is my favorite, a Himalayan salt lamp. Not only are they pretty, but they serve a purpose, other than just emitting light. I keep mine on almost 100% of the time. They help cut down on moisture in the air, help to neutralize the “electro-smog” in your air, reduce allergens and irritants, and bind excessive positive ions with their negative ions.
 
Additional Information: (Note from Lois: After asking Elizabeth a few questions, she added the following helpful information.)

We had a lot of work done on the house and our air is completely different.  I really believe it is a combination of everything we have done.  The salt rock lamp definitely cuts down on the moisture buildup in the bathroom, which in turn eliminates the mold that was in the upper corners near the ceiling.  I love them and am going to get some more for other rooms in the house.  You can find them on Amazon for reasonable prices.  I read about them through www.thewellnessmama.com on her blog.  She has some great ideas about "clean" living.
 
The Plants We Use:
I found a short list of plants that were good at filtering indoor air, were resilient and were considered non-toxic for children, and these are the house plants we currently have in our home:
 
Aloe Vera (also great for burns)
 
Spider plant (Chlorophytum comosum) – Very resilient and it produces runners (smaller plants) that can be transplanted.
 
Snake plant (Sansevieria trifasciata ‘Laurentii’) Also called “Mother in Law’s Tongue” – “This plant is one of the best for filtering out formaldehyde, which is common in cleaning products, toilet paper, tissues and personal care products. Put one in your bathroom — it’ll thrive with low light and steamy humid conditions while helping filter out air pollutants.” [source]
 
Dracena (Dracaena deremensis ‘Warneckii’) – Also known as Corn Plant, this plant can reach a potential height of 12 feet. “Best for removing xylene, trichloroethylene and formaldehyde, which can be introduced to indoor air through lacquers, varnishes and gasoline.” 
 
Christmas Cactus- Great at cleaning the air, and colorful too.
Boston Fern- Easy to grow, good at filtering the air, and resilient. 
 
 Bromeliads – Tropical looking and colorful – great at filtering the air
 
Bamboo palm (Chamaedorea sefritzii) “Also known as the reed palm, this small palm thrives in shady indoor spaces and often produces flowers and small berries. It tops the list of plants best for filtering out both benzene and trichloroethylene. They’re also a good choice for placing around furniture that could be off-gassing formaldehyde.” [source]
 
Yucca- Good at filtering the air but needs a lot of light.
 
Succulents and Hens & Chickens – Succulents aren’t the best for filtering the air, but they are easy to care for.
 
Herbs – Also not necessarily known for their air-filtering ability, but I use these and have them in the kitchen anyway.
 

 

No comments: