Sunday, July 1, 2012

How God Granted Me One of the Desires of My Heart

by Lois Breneman - June, 2012

For years I dreamed of someday having a granddaughter who would be interested in learning how to sew. When Ryan Elizabeth was born almost five years ago, I made her a large pink and green quilted wall hanging of machine embroidered designs, including a butterfly, pink koala bear, bird, flowers and a pin cushion with needles sticking in it. I asked her mother to show her the pin cushion and tell her that I'd teach her how to sew someday. 

Recently her beloved Paw Paw and I spent a week with her family in their home.  I did crafts with her and made her some clothes, after helping her make another pillow.  The pillow matched her dearly loved stuffed animal, Jaggy.  She was mesmerized, standing by my sewing machine with her eyes open wide and her mouth open, as she watched.  She learned what a bobbin is, where it goes in the sewing machine!  Soon as I sewed, I noticed she was at the table using circles of fleece as pattern pieces (her own idea), and cutting around them!  The circles that she used for pattern pieces were later turned into a flower which I glued to a clip for her hair.  So I showed her how to pin the pattern piece to the paper before cutting, and she proceeded to cut out a stack of circles, concentrating intently! 

During the week I made Ryan a sundress with little red apples in the print, a white eyelet skirt with a hot pink ribbon laced through the holes around the skirt, as well as a lined Jaggy dress with two layers of a very full skirt.  Then we had an extensive photo shoot with her wearing each new outfit.  She always managed to get a swirling segment in each photo shoot.  She loves swirling full skirts, so I will have to make her a complete circle skirt next!  With the scraps of Jaggy fabric, I made Ryan a lined, padded purse with a pocket, a rose glued to a hair clip for her hair, a wide headband, a hair ribbon, and a bookmark.  There are still a few scraps left over to add special touches to handmade cards for her which I know she will love!  We also did a lot of crafts that week as well as the following week during our family vacation with all twelve in our family.

While together one evening I mentioned to my four year old granddaughter that she and I have a lot in common - that we both like pink, purple, ruffles and other similar things.  Ryan excitedly chimed in, adding, "And sewing and crafts and clouds!"  The night before we were looking for animals and fish in the sky together.  We even found a dinosaur, along with a porpoise and Scottie dog.

I thank the Lord for graciously answering my prayer in granting me a desire of my heart -- that of having a young granddaughter who would love sewing and crafts as much as she does.  The Lord deeply cares about the desires of our hearts!  Her older brother, Justin, loves doing crafts and even sewing projects such as pillows!  I had planned on teaching them both how to sew on a button during family vacation, but time didn't allow, so that's something we have to do the next time we're together!  I keep counting my blessings, and thanking the Lord for each of our precious grandchildren!

No comments: