Sunday, July 1, 2012

A Fresh Perspective

by Stacy Miller - Used by permission
 
Recently I've been going through a lot of adversity, sickness, and trials.  My husband hasn't had any work for over a month, so I am carrying the full weight of the bills.  On top of this, I found a $400 error in the checkbook, and it wasn't in our favor.  I've been dealing with a sinus infection for over ten days and it just doesn't want to let go.  And there are all kinds of rumors going around at work regarding upcoming changes that are enough to twist your stomach in knots.  I hate to admit it, but in the midst of all of this, I've failed to faithfully read the Word.  Instead, I've been guilty of running to the Wii to vent my anger and frustration through exercise.  If I don't do the Wii, then I want to escape through watching television.
 
Now I have to admit -- the Wii has been really good for me.  It has helped to increase my lung capacity to where the asthma issues aren't quite as intense or as frequent.  And the exercise has nearly alleviated my monthly female issues, which is all the more reason to want to keep using the Wii.  However, I read something the other day that made me realize that when I run to these other things instead of the Lord, I am making it a god.
 
I decided to make a change and get back to reading the Word.  I felt led to read Psalm 91 in The Living Bible because sometimes reading a familiar portion of scripture in a different version can give me a fresh perspective.  There were a few things that really stood out to me. 
 
Psalm 91:1 
We live within the shadow of the Almighty, sheltered by the God who is above all gods.
(If I want to be sheltered by the God who is above all gods, I need to LIVE within His shadow -- I need to LIVE in HIM, not running to other things that can so easily become a functional god for me.)
91:2 This I declare, that He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; He is my God, and I am trusting Him.
(I need to focus on Him being a refuge for me and remember what safety there is in dwelling in Him.  I need to remind myself that HE is my God, and I WILL trust in Him, instead of focusing on my problems.)
91:4  His faithful promises are your armor.
(There is no armor like the armor of God.  I need to be meditating on His promises because they are the armor that will deliver me from the fears that assail me.)
91:9 For Jehovah is my refuge!  I choose the God above all gods to shelter me. 
(The word "choose" really stood out to me in this verse.  It is MY choice how I am going to respond to the daily frustrations and fears.  Am I going to run to the refrigerator and gorge on junk food?  Am I going to escape through watching TV?  Am I going to play on the Wii for hours just so I can focus on something besides my problems?  It is MY choice.)
91:12 They (the angels) will steady you with their hands to keep you from stumbling against the rocks on the trail. 
(When I'm on a "rocky trail," those angels are there to help me and keep me from stumbling and losing my way.)
91:16 I will satisfy him with a full life and give him my salvation.
(Nothing on this earth has the ability to satisfy me and give me a full life like the Lord.)
 
Viewing this portion of scripture in a different version really did give me a much-needed, new perspective.  I have noticed a difference already in my thoughts and my attitude.  While my body may still feel the effects of this nasty sinus infection, at least my spirit has been refreshed.  I may still have the same trials before me, but now I don't feel so alone and overwhelmed.

No comments: