Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Household Tips I Discovered Because of Specific Needs

by Lois Breneman - 2016 - Heart to Heart
                               Soaking Produce
I like to soak my produce as soon as I get home from the grocery store.  Either I use white vinegar, grapefruit oil, or a purchased produce spray - as natural as possible.  

Problem: When soaking fruit, it pops to the top, and is not covered with the natural cleaning solution! 

Solution: Putting my cutting board on top to immerse all the fruit for at least ten minutes before rinsing everything solved the problem. 




 ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The Kitchen Sink

There are two things when standing in front of my kitchen sink to wash dishes that I wanted to avoid when we remodeled last year.

Problem#1: A very deep sink because it increases back pain.  My sink was too deep to prevent lower back pain, however, it was impossible to find one that was not too deep for me.

Solution#1:  I set a plastic drawer from an organizer inside the deep side of our sink as shown below.  Next I placed a basin inside, but tipped it forward.  That makes washing dishes so much easier and more comfortable for me!


Problem #2:
A wide section (4 inches) between where I stand and the inside of the sink front increases back pain.

Solution#2:  When we had our kitchen remodeled last year, I insisted on a space of 3 inches if at all possible before the granite was cut.  The granite company was able to stick pretty close to that, and it helps immensely.  When I wash dishes where there is a 4-inch space between the front of the sink and myself, it doesn't take long for the back pain to increase.


A plastic drawer inside sink, turned horizontally, helps to raise up the basin and tilt it forward.




     A basin was placed inside the plastic drawer (also turned horizontally and tipped forward).

 ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Adding Cooked Eggs to a Recipe


Problem: It takes too much time to hard cook eggs for a recipe when I'm in a hurry.

Solution:  I cooked the eggs in a pan, and pureed them in my Nutra Bullet before adding them to chicken salad.







 ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


     Washing a Scarf (or Skirt) that Is Crinkled


Problem:  How do you wash crinkled fabric and not remove all the crinkles?

Solution:  Wash by hand, and wring it as you would a dish cloth.  Allow to dry in that position to retain the crinkles.

Shown below:
1.  The scarf before washing.
2.  The scarf, after washing by hand, and being wrung out, forming a twisted effect.  It should dry in this position to retain the crinkled effect.



I hope these household tips will help others and make life easier for them.

No comments: