Monday, February 29, 2016

Add Some *Light* to Your Living Room!

Used with Permission by Carmen Jorissen of Crafty Queens
Please see website for full tutorial and pictures:  http://craftyqueens.nl/2012/12/29/add-some-light-to-your-living-room/

(Please go to the link above to see a photo.)

When looking for the lights, make sure that they are LED-lights. As far as I know, these don't heat up, so there's less chance of fire hazard. They are safer and energy-saving!


I understood that I would have to crochet in the round a few times, until it would fit the inside of the lights.. um..  cord? Anyway, because the cord is very stiff, it would not curl up small enough to work it into the crocheting from the beginning. I crocheted 8 SC in a magic circle, and then 2 SC in every SC, before I could start working with the cord. 

 
It's kind of tricky, but you'll get the hang of it. For the first few rounds, keep crocheting with *1sc, 2sc*. Crochet very loosely! After the 3rd round, I noticed that if you just crochet loose enough, you don't have to increase that much. When you do need to, just chain 1 in between stitches. ( I did this every 6 stitches) I found that doing 2SC covers the lights too much. It would still shine through, but I thought it was nicer to leave larger gaps. If you need to increase in the last round, however, use 2SC instead of chains, as it makes for a nicer edge.


Mine turned out to be smaller than I wanted it to be, so maybe I'll put it on the table instead. The lights cord I used was 6 meters long.


When you've come to the end of the cord, crochet some SC without the cord in it
(see pictures on website.)

Then, crochet 2 slip stitches (1 per stitch), to make a nice circle.


Weave in the ends. You'll need an extra large needle for this. If you don't have one, maybe a crochet hook will do the trick too.


And it's done!

No comments: