Wednesday, March 27, 2013

How a Young Mom Feeds Her Family with Nutrition in Mind & Cooking with Beans

Elizabeth Tromm is a young mom with two daughters and a son, ages 6, 4, and 2.  She beautifully illustrates this post with colorful photos of her food choices on her blog, http://babytromm.xanga.com/772117491/what-we-eat/

What We Eat
by Elizabeth Tromm - Used by permission
I wrote a post a year and a half ago about the way we eat and about my grocery budget, but I have had several people ask me to write another one about our meals and snacks. I do feel really strongly about healthy eating because I believe that it plays a huge role in how often we get sick and/or how we feel, but I try not to throw it into other people's faces. So here is what we eat.
 
We eat a ton of dried beans. Black, red, navy, chick peas, pinto, etc... Our all time favorite meal, winter, spring, summer, fall, is black beans and rice. I use brown rice and I always buy the beans dried. At the beginning of the week I will soak and cook a pot of black beans and usually another pot of a different variety. That way they are ready when I am ready to use them during the week. We put the black beans on top of the rice and then I put chopped peppers (red, yellow, or orange), tomatoes, and cucumbers on top of that. I will also put the cucumbers in sour cream and add garlic and cumin. Over all of that I put brown apple cider vinegar. It is the best meal ever!! Mia often requests it for breakfast.
 
Another favorite meal is grilled marinated chicken. I marinate it for at least 24 hours in zesty Italian dressing and slowly grill it. Depending on the season we have a different variety of veggies. In the summer I usually grill squash, onions, tomatoes, and  peppers along with the chicken. Other times we have baked "french fries." I slice the potatoes into wedges and put them in olive oil and four to six different types of spices and herbs, depending on what flavors I want that day.
 
Of course, I love a good hamburger. My recent and most favorite to date is a grilled burger topped with this AWESOME locally made hot wing sauce, jalapeño peppers, grilled onions, and minced garlic. It. Is. So. Good!! With that we will do the baked potato wedges, and cole slaw, or green beans and corn on the cob in the summer.  Tacos with loads of veggies is another meal that is loved by everyone in our house. Pasta. Any pasta covered in sauce is a good meal to my family. Eva and I love chick peas, Mia and Carter eat them but they don't request them like Eva does. My favorite way to fix chick peas is to heat them to room temperature, add grape tomatoes cut in half, chunked avocado, a pinch of salt and fresh lime juice over everything. It is so yummy. 
 
I always try to have fresh raw veggies and cooked vegetables at all of our meals along with meat when Rob is home. We usually eat fresh fruit for dessert. I love bread but my girls are not fans. So I usually fix a loaf or two each week to eat with our dinners.
 
Our lunches consist of mostly leftovers. If those are not available I give the kids an option of beans or sandwiches. Mia usually goes for beans and the other two like a sandwich.
 
For breakfast I fix them oatmeal with my canned peaches or frozen berries that we put up in the spring and summer.  Other days we might have Greek yogurt, sausage and gravy with biscuits, or eggs. Sometimes I have granola that they can eat. We stay away from store bought cereal because of all the added sugar and enriched ingredients. I always fix a 20 oz green smoothie for myself and about 4 oz for each of the kids. On days when Rob eats breakfast with us I usually fix bacon or sausage to go with our eggs.  We love some bacon in our family!
 
Snacks are the biggest struggle. Even though we eat lots of fiber and whole grain my kids are always starving. Growing up I don't remember snacking a lot but who knows. I have decided that as long as it is more than an hour before a meal the kids can eat as many snacks as they want, within reason.

These are the snacks they are allowed to have:
1. Oatmeal
2. Fresh vegetables. I always keep peppers, celery, and broccoli cut-up, and in the veggie drawer. I also have carrots and small cucumbers in that drawer. On the counter there is usually a container of grape tomatoes.
3. Fresh fruit. I keep seasonal fruit for the most part. Pineapple, oranges, and bananas have been around my house lately. In the summer it is berries, peaches, and pears. In the fall we eat a lot of apples. I throw in grapes here and there as they go on sale. 
4. Nuts and dried fruit. I usually have pecans and almonds. Sometimes we roast them but the kids prefer eating them raw. They also like dried fruit - prunes, raisins, apricots, etc.
5. String cheese or cubed cheese
6. Greek yogurt
7. Popcorn. They are half Fenzel and we all know how the Fenzel clan loves their popcorn.
The kids usually tell me when they are hungry and if we are not in the middle of school or some project, I tell them to go and pick out what they want and sit at the table. Since I keep everything sliced and prepped they are able to get what they want by themselves.

Cooking Beans for Easy Digestionby Lois Breneman - 2012 - Heart to Heart Newsletter

Satisfying, versatile, and very inexpensive  - about $1 per pound - at a time when budgets need to be stretched to put gas in our vehicles!   I just cooked another 4 pounds today!  Beans freeze very well!

A few months ago I shared how to cook beans to be easily digestible.  A nutritionist told me to soak grain overnight by adding 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar for every cup of grain.  However, I adapted this recipe and found it works just as well without the beans soaking up so much vinegar.  There is no vinegar flavor with the following directions.

This is what I do:
Soak the following overnight in a large Dutch oven or cooking pot:
4 pounds of dried beans, washed thoroughly in a colander (Great Northern or pinto beans are very good)
1 gallon of distilled water (or enough to fully cover soaked beans)
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar

Note: DO NOT add any salt at this point!  Salt will prevent the beans from getting tender.  Salt and season later.

After soaking overnight or at least 8 hours, drain and rinse the beans several times.  Cover with more pure water and bring to a boil.  A foam may cover the top after they come to a boil.  Skim off the foam with a large spoon.  I hold the lid in my left hand and spoon the foam into the lid, then pour it down the drain.  This needs to be done until the foam is about gone (5 minutes or so).  Simmer beans for about an hour or more until the beans are tender.  I drain the beans unless I plan to make bean soup.  You can season at this point or wait until serving.  Spoon some of the beans into containers to freeze.  Save some with the liquid for bean soup, and make hummus with the remaining beans for dipping carrots, celery or crackers into this high protein snack.

Complete protein:  By eating a grain with beans, you will have a complete protein (a meat substitute).  Whole grain bread or crackers, rice cakes or crackers, or a bean and rice dish will suffice.
 
 
 

No comments: