Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Homemade Laundry Detergent (with Oxyclean & Calgon)

by Gina Martin - http://homejoys.blogspot.com - Used by permission
(Note from Lois:  Another version of homemade laundry soap had been in Heart to Heart several years ago, but this is another option.)

There are so many recipes on the web for laundry detergent. I have tried the cooked recipe and the shredded soap bar recipe in the past. They worked but the recipe I've been using for nearly a year now is the simplest I've found. I keep the ingredients handy, and when I run out, it takes only minutes to dump it together, give it a stir, and we are back laundering clothes.
I've tested this recipe on very dirty muddy clothing this summer. I won't say that it will remove every stain, but it does a better job than many detergents. I figure any soap that can make cloth diapers smell sweet is doing a good job!

For a short while last spring, I used a bought detergents since I was given a box. Immediately, my dishcloths started to stink again. Ed wanted me to throw out the bought stuff and go back to homemade. All ingredients can be found in the laundry department of larger grocery stores.

Homemade Laundry Detergent
1 box (55 oz) Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda
1/2 cup Mule Team Borax
2 cup oxygen cleaner (such as Oxyclean)
1/2 cup Calgon water softening powder
Mix together. Use 1/8 cup per load.

No comments: