Thursday, September 1, 2011

Precious Gems


Ladies, thanks for sending your kids' quotes to me to share in Heart to Heart, as well as giving permission when I ask.  How do children keep coming up with all these quotes?

Living in a foreign country, we try to encourage Caleb (4) to be polite and say hello and good-bye, etc., in our adopted country's language, even though up to this point he doesn't know a lot of the language.  Most of the time he just turns away without saying anything.  However, one evening as we were leaving Burger King, Caleb turned to me and said very proudly and excitedly, "I waved good-bye to her in Turkish!" ~ Alyssa in Asia Minor

(At the beach) Gracie (9) says to me, "Daddy made me ride a wave so high on my board that it hurt my spleen!"  I say, "Oh really?" Where is your spleen?"  Her response, "I don't know.  Where is it?"  I show her the general location and then she says, "Wow!  I guess it was my spine then." ~ Penny in Virginia

Savahhan (3): Gram-B, how many people do you know?
Gram-B: A bunch!  How many do you know?
Savannah: 6
Gram-B: Can you name them?
Savannah: They're already named!
Outsmarted again by an almost 4 year old! ~ Marlene in Virginia

Me: "Sierra, what do you want to do while Sam (brother) is at school today?"
Sierra (4): "I want to eat chocolate and go shopping!"
Sounds good to me ;-) ~ Tiffany in Colorado

Andrew (6) came up to me one day and said, "I closed my eyes and turned them so they could see inside of me.  Guess what I saw?  Jesus in my heart!!" ~ Stacy in Virginia

While shopping with his parents, my grandson, Daniel (3), spotted a woman in the store and asked excitedly, "Is that Grammie?"  His mom said, "No, it's not Grammie.  She lives in Virginia."  Daniel persisted, saying, "I think it IS Grammie and I think we should go ask her!!  I miss her and she misses me too!" ~ Lois (So true!)

Driving through the little town where I grew up from infant to age 9, I showed my girls the playground and house of my childhood.  We later passed the convenience store and then a cemetery.  I told them how I would ride my bike through the neighborhood and sometimes my friends and I would go look at the neat tombstones to read the names or look at the pictures engraved on them.  "And did you look at them with 'somber' faces, Mom?  Coryn (8) asked.  She's obviously been reading a lot lately to come up with that 10 cent word! ~ Alison in Ohio

Kids' Comments after the 5.8 Earthquake in Virginia (8/23/11)

An earthquake-traumatized Aiden (5) looked at me a minute ago and asked if you could see earthquakes and it they are underground.  I tried to explain that you could see the effects of an earthquake and that they are indeed underground.  He then pointed out the window to the site that prompted his question and said he's found the earthquake.  It was actually the remnant of a groundhog hole! ~ Ellen Rachel in Virginia

Micah (5) said, "Maybe aliens were trying to steal our house, but our house was too heavy for them to take!"  Seriously--No more TV for him! ~ Elaine in Virginia


We started looking at the sky to see if there was a tornado.  Andrew (6) looked at me and asked, "Is God destroying the earth already?" ~ Stacy in Virginia

It's such a comfort to know:
"When the earth quakes and its people live in turmoil, I am the one who keeps its foundations firm."  Psalm 75:3

"Lord, YOU have been our dwelling place, through all generations."  Psalm 90:1

Only God can turn a MESS into a MESSage,
a TEST into a TESTimony,
a TRIal into a TRIumph,
a VICTim into a VICTory.
GOD is GOOD---all the time! ~ Unknown

We are praying for those on the East Coast who were in the path of destruction left behind by Hurricane Irene!

1 comment:

Meg said...

The cute comments from the kids always make me smile!