Thursday, September 1, 2011

Dollar Stretcher Tips


www.stretcher.com - Readers' Tips - Used by permission from the Editor, Gary Foreman

Summer Teas ~ You pay a lot for those fruity delightful teas, but you can make your own that's even better by freezing crushed fruits in ice trays. I place fruit in blender with some water and then pour it into ice trays to freeze. When I want to serve fruity teas or even water, I just take out several squares of the frozen mixture and place them into a glass or pitcher. It's so yummy, all natural, and very refreshing on these sultry hot days. - S.   Additional Dollar Stretcher Resource: More alternatives to soda.

Saving Summer Herbs ~ My garden has a lovely overabundance of basil this summer. I use as much as I can in salads, omelets, and sauces. However, I also keep some for the winter. Using my food processor, I pulse several cups of basil leaves with a couple of tablespoonfuls of extra virgin olive oil. Next I spoon the puree into ice cube trays and freeze until firm. Once the basil is frozen, I pop the cubes into a freezer bag to be enjoyed in soups and stews or with pasta and garlic during the long winter months. It's simpler than pesto, but just as versatile. - Rasa

Using Leftovers ~ Leftovers are great only if you eat them. In the past, I often forgot what I put in my fridge, especially if I put it away in a container that was not see-through. Recently, I came up with the idea of writing the contents on the side of the reusable plastic container with a dry erase marker. That way, I know what is in there, and the writing comes off in the dishwasher. ~ Dawn G. in South Bend, IN


Kids' Birthdays
~ When my children were young, they were often invited to birthday parties. We would spend about $15 on a gift but also had the expense of gift wrap and a card. I found an inexpensive solution to the cards. I went to a Michael's store and purchased a set of rubber stamps with pictures that appealed to kids, such as an ice cream cone, a couple of hearts, etc. The set also came with an ink pad. The total cost, as I recall, was $5 to $7. Then I purchased a set of 3x5 unlined index cards. I folded each card in half and stamped a picture on the cover to make a small card. On the inside, my child could write "To Mary from Joan" or any other short message. It took almost no time to create these. We used these for many birthday parties during the years and still use them now that my kids are teens (although there are fewer parties). I have also used them for baby showers and adult gifts, as well. ~ Dorothy

Free Stone Walkways ~ I recently made a stepping-stone path in our yard, absolutely free. First, I measured the area and estimated how many "steps" I'd need. Then, I drove around to various construction sites in our area. Wherever I'd see broken-up chunks of concrete, I'd stop and ask if I could take a few of the smaller pieces. I looked for pieces that had a flat side, and were roughly about a foot square. Within three days, I had enough chunks to start my project! Next, I laid the chunks out in the desired path. For each one, I dug about two feet down, so that the flat top was flush with the ground. It took a little patience to get each step level, but the results are rewarding. I finished the edges of my new path off with pea gravel and sprinkled it with pretty marbles and colored stones. Now I get comments all the time on my lovely, homemade path. Similar stones cost around $2 to $3 each, so I saved about $60! ~ Shaunna      Additional Dollar Stretcher Resource: More on Inexpensive Landscaping.

Above Ground Repairs
~ My above ground pool had a large tear in the liner. The patch kits they sell for $9.99 have repair adhesive and a 3x12 piece of vinyl. We went to the Walmart® craft section and found a 54 x 1/4 yard piece of identical clear vinyl for 49 cents! And I purchased a tube of repair adhesive for $3 that will last a long time. I also like having the extra supplies close by in case it is needed quickly. If you curve the cut in the vinyl, it lays better than a square or rectangle. - S. in Rochester, NY

Jar Storage ~ I use jars from other foods to store leftover soups, veggies, fruits, gravies, etc. I just keep a few jars that fit my needs. I especially like the ones with wide mouths. I can see at a glance what I have, and they take up little space in the fridge. The same jars can be used to keep dry foods in the cupboard. I have large jars for rice, flour, sugar, powdered milk, beans, and pastas. They are a frugal alternative to Tupperware® and other plastics. They don't require plastic wrap to cover the food like when I use a bowl for storage. If I'm packing a lunch to take to work, I use a small jar or two to hold fruit, yogurt, etc. They can be washed and come with lids that fit. (If I'm taking liquids with me, I make sure the lid fits tight.) - K.


Plumber's Clogged Drain Secret ~ Many years ago, I met an old-timer who worked for the city sewage department. He told me a story about clogged drains in the city's buildings, as it was his job to unclog these drains. He had a sure-fire method and it only took a big bucket! When he went into the bathroom, the first thing he did was to run the hot water full blast and filled his bucket with the hottest water he could get. Then he poured the hot water down the toilet. He did this three times! Viola! This cleared the toilet slick as a whistle.  I tried this and it works. The only difference is I boil my water to a rolling boil and it clears our drains quickly and easily. I live in a apartment building. Even though the other tenants are always calling for the plumber, we have never had to. We just pour three buckets of boiling water down the spout. Clears it every time. Try it and see for yourself. The cost is a lot cheaper than a plumber's house call! - John D.


Natural Hair Care ~ The best homemade beauty tip that is equivalent to any expensive hair treatment is to use warmed olive oil on your hair to repair, smooth, and hydrate. Just warm the oil, massage it into your hair, and leave on half an hour before washing as normal. Makes your hair luxurious and smooth. - E. Additional Dollar Stretcher Resource: More frugal help for controlling frizzy hair.

1 comment:

Meg said...

I love these tips!