Tuesday, March 29, 2016

A Solution to Bluebird Predators

by Sue Huey - Written for Heart to Heart
Used by permission
 


We had a special bluebird house that my father-in-law had made for us. It was used by quite a few bluebird families and we enjoyed watching them.  One day I noticed that the hole was quite a bit larger than it used to be!  It kept getting a little bigger each day, and I finally I caught the culprit!  



A squirrel had decided that was his new favorite thing to gnaw on!  After that, quite a few birds continued to check out the house, but no one wanted to make a nest in there anymore. 

My father-in-law went to heaven a few years ago, so he couldn't make us a new house.  My husband took it down and figured out how to make a new front for it, but I was afraid that a squirrel would destroy it again.  Then I remembered that I had shared a picture on of the squirrel "showing off his handiwork," and Lois had commented that there were metal protectors available to prevent that. 

I did a quick search on Amazon and came up with this handy affordable device:



It was here in two days, and attached very easily with two screws which were included.  Now our bluebird house is safe from the destructive rodents, and a new bluebird couple is happily building a nest in it.

No comments: