Friday, January 1, 2016

January Wreath

Used with Permission by Lindee Katdare http://thelindeetree.com/january-wreath/

 

For me, the month of January is kind of a bummer. We have taken down all of the Christmas decor and the house feels bare, cold and boring. Our social calendar has slowed down and we have more time to spend in our drab environment. So that being said, this is a great month to start working on projects. I can't stand sitting inside waiting for spring. So far this month,  I have created numerous decor projects and finally installed french doors in my husband's office (blog post to come!).  I spent one week with the flu and am finally back up and running. I was ready to tackle our depressing front door with a cheerful wreath!
I made a wreath a couple of years ago that has obviously lived its life.  Instead of sending it out to be buried, I decided to up-cycle it. I loved the sparkly pine base and the base was  in great condition.  I wanted to create something bright, cheerful and seasonal. I have definitely had my fill of pine cones for the year so I wanted to do something different. I went to my favorite hangout, Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores. I found the berries, greenery and flowers there. I used a coupon and they were running a promotion in the floral department, buy one get one free. I spent about $15-$20 on everything. The lemons came from Pottery Barn and were $16.00 for a bag of six, about $2.60 each. Kind of pricey, but any time you buy nice quality fruit you are going to have to pay for it. Besides, I still have a couple to spare and they look pretty in a little glass bowl on my shelf.
So, for about $30 I made a beautiful wreath with high quality materials. I looked online for some other wreaths made with similar products and they averaged about $70.00. I am so glad I made mine instead. I was able to make exactly what I want, did not waste material, and saved money. Sounds like a win to me! What do you think?
I love to receive feedback from my readers. What are you working on this month?
 
American wife to this Indian life. I am a right-brained, American woman married to a left-brained Indian man. I love art, design, up-cycling and multiple DIY projects at the same time. He loves simplicity and order. Follow us on this cultural collision as I combine our personalities and cultural differences through art, design, food, and raising kids. When I am not working on a craft or project, I co-host a lifestyle/entertainment show called "Daytime Blue Ridge," on our local NBC affiliate, WSLS 10. www.DaytimeBlueRidge.com

No comments: