Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Parental Involvement in Teen Internet Usage

by Penny Yonts in a letter to Parent Internet Protection Program for Generation Z (PIPPZ) ~ Used by permission

A friend made me aware of a new slang term being used by teens. Netflix n' Chill is a code for "Let's get together, watch Netflix, and ..." You get the idea. Do an internet search if you want more information.


Please allow me to strongly suggest that at least one parent or adult keep a close watch on your child's devices. There's an increasing selection of Apps that are geared toward teens, for the sole purpose of allowing them to hide forbidden apps, content, and conversations.

Please know all of your child's ID's and Passwords for any and all social network apps and accounts. I've made it clear to my kids that I can and do check their accounts. At any moment I will check their phones, their pictures, and texts. If my kids and I were perfect, lived in a perfect society, with perfect friends, then there would be no need for me to check our accounts. We each need accountability. 

Here's some suggestions:
Facebook - Check the privacy settings so that only "safe" people and pages are accessible. I have to periodically go into my account and Joshua's account to let FB know what ads are appropriate. You can choose what kind of ads pop up. Also, remember to check FB Messenger. Personally, FB has been a blessing and source of encouragement to me. But, there's always trouble lurking.

Instagram - I'm not crazy about this app. There's very little control of what all our children can see. I've compromised too much on this particular app, unfortunately. Remember, check your child's privacy settings. Lastly, Instagram has the capability of sending and receiving private messages...check those too.

SnapChat - Hate Hate Hate!!!

Pinterest - Gracie has Pinterest; and I have to keep an eye on who Follows her. Even if she doesn't Follow them, she can see what they Pin. I block them; and hope her little eyes don't see images that could hurt her.

Please feel free to share anything that could help us keep our loved ones protected.
Thanks!

No comments: