Tuesday, December 1, 2015

How to Turn a Dollar Tree Ornament into Frosty's Vintage Top Hat

 Used by permission from Shannon

foxhollowcottage.com/2014/11/how-to-turn-a-dollar-tree-christmas-ornament-into-frostys-vintage-top-hat.html



DIY a Dollar Tree Ornament into a Frosty Top Hat for the Christmas Tree foxhollowcottage

When I saw these ornaments at the Dollar Tree I thought they were cute, but I knew I wanted to put a Fox Hollow spin on them, with some fat ribbons and maybe a little vintage flair.

Dollar Tree Christmas Ornament Makeover into Vintage Frosty Top Hats foxhollowcottage 

They totally remind me of Frosty’s top hat. Even though Frosty’s didn’t look like this. I guess it’s a top hat + Christmas that just gives me that nostalgic connection. Anyhoo… ready for another round of “cheap&easy?

Good!
To make:
1. Buy Dollar Tree ornaments. You can make top hats ornies from scratch, but for a dollar, I’m happy to use this base! They come in Red, Black and Silver (to my knowledge)
2. Remove the apple green sparkly bits. The hat is made of styrofoam, so apply firm, even pressure, and pull. A wee chunk will come out. No worries, your hat band will cover it!

before dollar tree christmas ornament

3.
Use ribbon, scrap fabric, craft paper, scrap book paper, etc.. to make a band. Wrap around and secure. I used a glue gun. A straight pin would probably work too in a pinch!

4. Add your embellishments. Ribbon, sprig of greenery, tinsel garland (from Dollar Tree, it’s sparse and perfect) flashy buttons, rhinestones, tiny ornaments, an old earring, a tiny snowflake, etc… a mini monogram would be adorable! Basically anything to scale, you want the visual weight to be balanced.

2 Dollar Tree Christmas Ornament Makeover to Vintage Frosty Top Hat foxhollowcottage 

5. Lastly, the gold ornament hanger attachment was very “cheap plastic-y gold” so I chose to paint mine with a dab of craft paint. Black on the one with the polka dot ribbon and pale gold on the one with the little vintage ornament. It really completed the mini transformation. Don’t worry, it doesn’t have to be prefect, just bad with a little craft brush and call it good! You’re mainly just toning down the cheap-y gold look.
And then… you are all done, and you have a supah-cute Frosty top hat ornament that can be the highlight of your tree, or even a gift topper!
These would be extra cute on a Frosty The Snowman tree.
Have you seen them? They are adorable themed trees. My sister did a flocked one, with a big top hat as the tree topper and it was so, so cute. It really put out a strong Christmas vibe at her house! You couldn’t help but love it. I sure wish I was blogging then, so I could share a photo of it. I didn’t even have a cell phone back then. Well, I may have, but it didn’t take pictures that’s for sure. Can you even imagine?
How did I survive?

3 Dollar Tree Christmas Ornament Makeover to Vintage Frosty Top Hat foxhollowcottage







No comments: