Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Draft Dodgers

by Nina Graff in Michigan

Here's another budget tip. (I DO try to find ways to DIY, with not so much expense). I've been talking about making 'draft dodgers' for the patio doors (or as I call them, window sausages!)… LOTS of temperature exchange going on there! Well…. another week of below temps spurred me into action.

I was brainstorming about what to stuff them with…that would insulate, but be cheap. Couldn't see wasting that quantity of rice or beans! SO--- wood pellets to the rescue! A 40# bag costs about $4, and one bag filled 6 sausages last night. (6"x35")

I made them out of canvas drop cloth…. a fabric I've come to LOVE! (Made curtains last year out of some. Very natural looking… and affordable!)  I tied the bags up with jute…. and they will help quite a bit with that NW wind. 

I just thought I would share, in case anyone is looking for easy extra insulation this winter. (Brrrrrr.-- this house has some finishing issues… I do believe there is something missing in the door channels or not quite installed correctly?)

No comments: