Monday, April 28, 2014

How to Make your Own Terry Cleaning Cloths

by Lois Breneman - 2014

I don't even call these cleaning cloths "rags," because they are so nice to use - no holes and very durable.  Using thin, worn towels (without holes), I cut each bath towel into 8 sections.  
After rounding the corners by trimming, I zigzag each one, non-stop, all around the rounded edges with my sewing machine, assembly line style, without cutting the thread until they are all sewn.  
Old hand towels, dish towels and washcloths work too.  Fluff them in the dryer to remove the lint before using them as cleaning cloths.  
When laundering them, I skip the fabric softener so they are more absorbent.  We are still using cleaning cloths that used to be towels received as wedding gifts 45 years ago!  If you don't have worn towels yet, check at yard sales, Salvation Army, and Goodwill.

After laundering the cleaning cloths, I simply fold mine in half and stack them in bathrooms, the laundry room, and the hall closet for cleaning.

No comments: