Monday, April 28, 2014

Asking for Her Hand in Marriage

Author unknown

A fun poem to read at a bridal shower and give to the guests to take home.  Or you could change the capitalized words to lower case and let the bridal shower guests find all the trees themselves!

There was a youth so SPRUCE and neat,
Who loved a maiden wondrous sweet.
A POPLAR girl, with her he'd stray
Along the BEECH beside the BAY,
When breezes fraught with ocean air
Would softly touch her CHESTNUT hair.
Her rosy PALM in his was pressed,
To ask PAW PAW was her request.
Should he succeed, with hope elate,
She promised him, she'd fix the DATE.
He brought her home that very night.
Although he feared the DOGWOOD bite.
But for her sake he then could dare
So not a FIG then did he care.
Then spake he to the ELDER man,
"To win your daughter's hand, I plan,
And for her constantly I PINE.
So, honored sir, may she be mine?"
The father said, "For one so kind
O-RANGE the world and none I'll find.
Though should she leave me, I must sigh,
For she's the APPLE of my eye.
And from my side should she be torn,
Twould pierce my heart just like a THORN."
Then spake the youth, "And yet, I dare
To ask for your daughter so fair,
And truthful must I surely be
Like him who chopped the CHERRY tree.
I love the maid, in truth I do,
Her cheeks have caught the PEACHES' hue.
I long to press her TULIPS fair."
Replied the sire, "I'll bless the PEAR."

No comments: