Saturday, April 27, 2013

Household Tips and Tidbits

Oil Cloth on Dining Room Table for Protection ~ For years I've had a rather heavy white oil cloth tablecloth on my dining room table.  For special occasions I put a nice tablecloth over it.  The oil cloth protects the antique wooden table from any spills that have happened - and they will happen!  The oil cloth covering has also served as a great working area for craft projects, as well as a cutting table, while protecting the table.  Oil cloth is sold (on a roll) in fabric stores by the yard.  Plain white is a good choice so the oil cloth won't show through the fabric tablecloth.

Spot-Cleaning Hard Surface Floors without Stooping ~ Sometimes I see spots on my kitchen or bathroom floors, when the entire floor doesn't really need washing.  My solution is to wet a terry cleaning cloth the size of a washcloth, and move it around with my foot on top of it until the floor is clean.  A mild cleaner could be sprayed on the cloth or on the floor before your little exercise routine.  Your children might want to do it for you next time!  In fact, teach them how!

Your Purse Will Not Slide around in the Car If it is secured.
  It seems cars no longer have a good place to set our purses when we drive, and I've had mine slide and spill over onto the floor several times.  Now I strap it in with me when I put on my seat belt, and that solves the problem.
 
Hidden Storage ~ I enjoy using teapots, pitchers, vases, and ginger jars in home decorating, and use some of them for storing small items like votive candles, seeds harvested from last year's plants, and other small things.  Now if I can just remember where everything is kept! It would be helpful to list everything and put that slip of paper in one of your favorite teapots.

Juicing for Breakfast ~ a Healthy Way to Start the Day! ~ I enjoy juicing raw vegetables and fruits for breakfast, but it takes a little preparation.  I juice a piece of ginger root, 1/2 lemon (peeled), about 1/4 of a medium red beet, one apple, and enough carrots to make about 2 cups of raw juice.  I buy 5-pound bags of organic carrots, and soak them in water, brush the carrots with a vegetable brush, trim off the ends, put them in a large plastic bag, and clip them shut with a Pampered Chef Twixit.  The ginger root, cut up beets, and lemon are washed and kept with the carrots. Then I just reach for an apple to finish up the juice.  Having most of the preparation done ahead of time helps juicing go smoothly and saves time.  I usually have eggs later.

R. W. Knudson Organic Tart Cherry Juice Helps Arthritis Pain.  Drink 1/2 cup per day.  It can be diluted with 1 1/2 cups pure water (a ratio of 1 part concentrated juice to three parts water), with a little Nu-Stevia added for sweetness.  Delicious!  Give it a try!  You should know in about two weeks if it will help.  Find it in the health food section of your grocery store or at a health food store.  It's much better than taking a pain prescription with side effects.
 

No comments: