Sunday, December 30, 2012

More Than Mended

by Lyle Berry, wife and mother of four children - 2012 - Used by permission

A lot of things around here have been breaking—plates, vacuums, major appliances. Jason and I have been asking each other, "Do we repair it or get rid of it? Is it even worth fixing?"  We shake our heads when the coffeemaker takes forever to crank out eight cups of coffee.  We are frustrated when our insurance company wants to fix the wrecked car with salvaged parts.

We are a disposable society. We do not value the broken, the old, the damaged. I am so thankful that God does not look at me the way I look at our broken freezer. Instead, through the sacrifice of the Lord Jesus, my brokenness can be more than mended. On my own, I am not worth fixing. My sin, in the eyes of a holy God, breaks my fellowship with Him. Through Jesus, my relationship with God is not just patched back together with some salvaged parts. It is just as if I had never sinned! I am clothed in Jesus' righteousness. The sorrow and ugliness of past sins--all of my ashes--He turns into beauty.

I am so thankful for brokenness and for restoration. I am so thankful for forgiveness and new life. "I will greatly rejoice in the Lord, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for He has clothed me with the garments of salvation, He has covered me with the robe of righteousness" (Isaiah 61:10).

No comments: