Friday, January 27, 2012

Parental Success

This is a wonderful parenting concept that really worked for Penny in Virginia!  Gracie is 9 and Joshua is 11.  I sure wish I had thought of this when our kids were small!

Mom: "Gracie, you need to put those socks in the laundry room." 
Gracie: "I'll do it in a minute, okay?" 
Mom: "Okay, but I'm not going to remind you.  And what should be your consequence if you don't pick them up in a minute?" 
Gracie: "Maybe I should do it now." 
Parental success for the day!

Mom: "Joshua, I need you to get me your backpack from the car." 
Joshua: "Can I get it in a minute?  I'm working on my Legos." 
Mom: "Sure, but I'm not going to remind you to get it for me.  So, if you forget, what should be your consequence?" 
Joshua: "Eternal suffering.  Oh, never mind.  I'll go get it now." 
Parental success #2 for the day!

No comments: