Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Waiting on God

by Sue Huey
Used by permission


Who likes to wait?  No one that I know enjoys waiting.  We're so impatient.  In a world of instant and immediate gratification for so many things, waiting seems so tedious.  Why does everything have to take so long?  Sometimes we're waiting for God to work in our lives and we feel like nothing is happening.  Does He see me?  Does He hear me?  We feel like waiting on God is wasted time.  But I love this verse I read this morning.

Isaiah  64:4  Since ancient times no one has heard, no ear has perceived, no eye has seen any God besides you, who acts on behalf of those who wait for him.

Wow!  What a verse!  God is not just doing nothing while we are waiting.  He is up to something!  He's acting on my behalf while I am waiting!


Several years ago God gave me a perfect illustration of this. Clay bought me a beautiful plant for Mother’s Day. At that time I knew almost nothing about plants. Other than some purple petunias I recognized, I thought the rest was just different types of greenery. But a couple days later, some tiny yellow flowers popped out. Then a patch of bright pink flowers, and then some little white ones. I was so surprised to see the plants blooming when I thought it was just greenery. And then much later, another plant with very dark green leaves that I had been tempted to pull out because I thought it was not very pretty was suddenly bearing the most beautiful lavender flowers! What a surprise! I had no idea these late bursts of color were coming.

I felt like God spoke to my heart and said, “That is what I’m doing in your life. You sometimes feel like you are just wasting time and waiting for nothing. But you can’t always see what I’m doing, and so you have no idea of what I am planning while you are waiting. Just trust me. Not only are you growing, but what I am doing in your life will become more beautiful with time.”

I’m so thankful for this beautiful illustration that God gave me of His promises. God doesn’t work on our timetable, and sometimes things take way longer than we ever expected. In Ephesians 3:20 He tells us that He is able to do immeasurably more than we ask or imagine. If God cares that much to surprise us in nature with flowers when we expect none, surely he wants to do so much more in our lives.






No comments: