Saturday, August 1, 2015

Tiny Teacup Terrarium

Creative Ideas


from www.allfreekidscrafts.com
 
   Terrarium toot copy.a
Diagram copy
Collect all of the materials listed above to create your terrarium.
I got my pebbles at Target in the vase section.  I bought my charcoal at the pet supply store in the terrarium section...Go figure! You can find Spanish moss at Michael's or JoAnn Fabrics and a ton of other places.  Any old potting soil will do. Keep in mind the size of your container when selecting plants. You would be surprised how much room all of the stuff takes up inside the jar. I used mostly ground cover like Irish moss or baby tears that I had growing around my yard. If you have a large container you could do a little Bonzai tree or a succulent plant.  I think herbs will work too.
Wash your glass container and lid with hot water.
Layer the ingredients in order.  I used a large spoon to add the dirt.
Start with a good sized scoop on top of your moss and then add your plant.
Use a couple of fingers to help protect the little guy while adding more soil around the edges and use your spoon to press it all down.
Now's the time to add your little figurines to create a world all your own.
Once you've got everything placed, give it a couple sprinkles of water, secure your lid and VOILA!  Your very own portable world of enchantment.
Monitor your tiny garden for the first few days to regulate the moisture level.  If it gets too steamy in there remove the lid to let it evaporate a little.  If it seems a little dry you can mist it or add a few more sprinkles of water. Once it has become established it will pretty much take care of itself!  You shouldn't need to water more than every 2-3 weeks.
You won't believe how simple it is...with all the ingredients and about 3 dozen glass jars I have saved up in all different shapes and sizes. I couldn't resist making a whole gang of them.

No comments: