Tuesday, October 21, 2014

It Happened Here: Mom Takes a Nap

by Sheila J. Petre - Used by permission

Happened last week: I was dead-tired, first thing in the morning. I decided there was no help for it; I had to take a nap. I settled in on the couch, in the family room, near the children, pulling a sheet up over my head against the flies. It was not a good nap; I kept waking to settle things, and to change a diaper, and so on. Usually kind, occasionally snappy, always sleepy. Once Allegra was tucked up by me; once Isaiah was.

When I finally woke, still tired, perhaps an hour later, it was time to prepare lunch. While I was doing that, the boys called me to the bathroom. Isaiah, at the potty chair, needed some personal care; Joshua perched on the taller throne watching me. What? Were they sick? Such a soup beneath both.

Their daddy came home another hour later. About that time I realized that the pan of cookie dough I had just filled was missing some cookies.

Michael asked the boys where the cookie dough had gone. “Did you put it in your treasure drawers?”

We all tire of finding decayed treasure in those drawers after several days of stashing.

I was beside him when he opened the drawers. No cookie dough. Candy. Gumdrop candy, in little containers. Huh? We don’t have any gumdrop candy.

However…Laurel does have some gummy pills--fiber pills--she takes, one a day. Sure enough, the bottle was far emptier than it should have been.

Such a soup--for two more days. Oh, boys. But I think they learned their lesson. Joshua was sick on his stomach and missed a meal or two.

Not that they weren’t generous--Allegra nearly got diaper rash.
I haven’t taken a nap since.

--a very tired Sheila

No comments: