Monday, October 27, 2014

Commit to Be a Covering

"Reborn Joy" is the meaning of my name, great title for my life, and our website address.  In this section of the newsletter, I share some things about living my life with Jesus.  
Hope you enjoy.  - Michelle Gill  www.rebornjoy.com

Matt. 21:22, I Pet. 3:1,2

At the ending of my first marriage, my only real regret was not committing to pray for my husband daily during our marriage.  Life and immediate needs took priority of the time I had in prayer.  One of the greatest blessings that we have the power to offer our husbands is a daily covering of prayer.

I remember being so convicted of this after Russell's death when I looked back on our five year marriage.  I believe another reason that I did not pray fervently for him was that my life would have had to change too much.  What an underlying root of selfishness that rested in me!  It takes effort to concentrate in prayer unless there is a pervasive need.  It takes time and no one has extra time.

Yet there is no other greater gift I could give someone.  During my single years in the in-between, I felt a need to stand in at times in prayer for those I knew who had no one to intercede for them.  I also prayed for my husband before I knew who he was, as if I were already his wife, because God had told me that I would marry again.  Now, once again, life tends to get in the way and concentrated prayer for Mark does not even cross my mind at times.  I have seen the difference in him when I am praying regularly for him and when I am not, as I am sure he can see the same in me. 

Anything worth doing takes effort and life takes discipline.  I now commit to cover my man daily in the wonderful incense of sincere prayer.  I offer it to him without his knowing as a sacrifice because focus and discipline do not come naturally to me.  There is nothing greater I can offer him of myself.

"For the Lord is good to those who wait for Him, to the person who seeks Him."  Lam. 3:25

I know the power of His Holy Spirit is able to fill my husband, protect him, and meet every need that he has and then some.  I commit to stand in for him and cannot wait to see all that God has in store for us.  I can use the excuse that Mark is a godly man who prays about every area already, but God calls us to pray for one another and He blesses that agreement with Him.  Agreeing with Him and coming boldly to His throne to talk with Him, knowing He gives to those who ask.

Whether you are married or not, who can you offer the covering of prayer to?  Is there a lack of follow through in your life to something God has called you to in prayer?  I challenge you to commit and open your eyes to all God can do.

Next month.. Taking a Full Stride into the Life God is Calling You To....

More on prayer from past Heart to Heart Newsletters:

http://heartfilledhome.blogspot.com/2011/01/celebrating-fathers-how-to-pray-for.html


http://heartfilledhome.blogspot.com/2013/07/how-to-pray-for-your-children-and.html
http://heartfilledhome.blogspot.com/2011/01/strength-and-power-through-husbands-and.html

No comments: