Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Opa Bears

by Mary Fenzel Abramski - http://things2dob4dying.wordpress.com/ - Used by permission

When you have someone special in your life to die, it's hard to know what to do with their clothes.  Do you just throw them out?  Donate them?  What do you do with them?

After my daddy died, I had a friend ask for one of his shirts.  Daddy always wore flannel shirts with Khaki's.  I was not sure what she was going to do with the shirt but I knew it was in good hands and that she would return it back in good condition.  What I did not know is that she would turn the shirt into what is now called in our family an "Opa Bear.”

When I got my Opa Bear back I was so happy.  It was nice to have something from my father that I could give to my daughter that was usable.  Her Opa Bear has been in her bed since the day she was born!  When I see the Bear it reminds me of a lot of good memories and I'm able to share those stories with my daughter about her Opa.

Because I thought that this was such a fantastic idea, I wanted all of Daddy's grand-kids to have an Opa Bear.  I asked my mom if I could have Daddy's shirts.  Christmas of 2007 I made all the grand-kids their Opa Bears.  They LOVED them!

Since then, I have updated the pattern and have made several Opa Bears for friends/family who want to have something special to pass down from a loved one.

If you would like to see pictures of the Opa Bears, please visit my blog at
http://things2dob4dying.wordpress.com/

No comments: