Thursday, January 12, 2017

Our Parrot Keeps Us Laughing

by Gwen Anderson
Used with permission

Our son, Blake's parrot is insulting me every time I cook.  This evening the buzzer went off on the oven, reminding me that it was time to pull dinner out.  As I walked over to the oven, to open it, Jasper proceeded to whistle out a perfect imitation of our fire alarm.  He does this almost every time I go to open the oven. For your information, I do not routinely burn things. 

Awhile back I was caramelizing the BBQ sauce on some ribs and they smoked a little bit - the smoke alarm went off and I KNEW he was going to pick up on that sound. When you live with a grey, you quickly learn the types of sounds they are particularly fond of.  Now practically every time I go to open the oven - the Jasper fire alarm goes off.  I have shared this previously, so what was the difference this time?  He did the fire alarm and then proceeded to laugh, when I said "Really Jasper?"  Silly Bird!
By the way, my daughter, Heather's efforts to teach him a new thing over Christmas paid off.  He now says, "Wascully Wabbit" almost perfectly in Elmer Fudd's voice.

We laugh at this bird all day long. He blows us away with the connections he makes. When I am carrying laundry upstairs, he sees me with the clothes in my arms and makes the washing machine beeps.  If you start to take a drink he makes the swallow sound.  When we open the back door he calls for the dog.  He calls out my name in my husband, Wade's voice, Blake's name in my voice, and Wade's name in my voice. When the phone rings he says, "Hello."  He is a neat pet. When the dog starts barking, he calls out, "Sophie, come here."

One time I was walking downstairs and he was out. I didn't know he was above me till he poked his head out between the stair rails and said, "Peek - a p boo."

No comments: