Monday, November 3, 2014

21 Questions Your Son Really Needs You to Ask Him

November 2, 2014 - by Lisa Jacobson
http://club31women.com/author/vienna

Used by permission

21 Questions Your Son Really Needs You to AskHe is not exactly a big talker. 
That son of mine.
He is kind, thoughtful, and a man of action.
But not necessarily a talker.
More of the strong, silent type, if you know what  I mean?
And I don’t mind it so much that he doesn’t say a whole lot. I tell him that’s fine by me.
He doesn’t have to be a talker . . . but he does need to be a communicator. 
Not merely for my sake, but for the sake of his friendships and future relationships. Because even at the age of 12, this young man already knows he hopes to marry andbecome a family man someday.
And marriage requires communication.
And parenting requires communication.
And friendship requires communication.
So this sweet guy of mine is learning to communicate. We’re practicing now with our eye on the future.
And you know what I’ve found? I’ve discovered that what works the best is if I ask him the questions.
He needs me to start the conversation. 

21 Questions Your Son Needs You to Ask 21 Questions Your Son Really Needs You to Ask

  1. What would you say was the best day of your life so far?
  2. What was the worst day of your life…and why?
  3. If you could pick one meal for me to make you, what would it be?
  4.  What mountain do you wish you could climb?
  5.  What do you admire most about your dad?
  6.   What kind of music really moves you?
  7.   What is your favorite Scripture verse? And why that one?
  8.  What things does your sister do that frustrate (or encourage) you?
  9.  And what does your brother do that annoys (helps) you?
  10.   What do you think you’d like to do for a job when you get older?
  11.   Why did that (movie, song, conversation. etc) disturb you?
  12.   What’s the best thing about being a part of our family?
  13.   What’s the hardest part about being a middle child (or youngest, oldest, only) in our family?
  14.   What sorts of things in this world make you angry? Wish you could fix?
  15.   Can you describe what the perfect day would look like to you?
  16.   What would you say are your top 3 movies? And what is it about them that you like?
  17.   What skill do wish you could be better at? What we can do to help you improve it?
  18.   What kinds of things make you want to cry?
  19.   What character qualities do you especially appreciate in a friend?
  20.   What do you wish I understood better about you?
  21.   Do you know how much I love you?
So I ask the questions and then try to listen with all of my heart.
Because when our oldest son left for college and I asked him what was the most loving thing I’ve ever done for him as his mom?
I don’t want to ever forget that.
So ask your son what’s on his mind. What’s on his heart?
Then listen to what he has to say.
Communicate and build a close relationship.
He needs you, mom.
Sometimes more than he can say.

In His grace,
Signature small

No comments: