Saturday, September 29, 2012

Character Education Curriculum


by Meagan DeLong in North Carolina
 
I’ve been wanting to do a character study with my girls for some time now, but just never found the time to get one together. I recently stumbled upon We Choose Virtues (http://www.wechoosevirtues.com/) and decided it was worth the money to save me the time and energy of creating my own study. The materials are bright and colorful and the phrases are catchy and I knew my girls would love them. And I was right! 
 
We bought the parenting faith-based cards and my girls can’t wait to learn a new one each week. They portray a funny child with a silly name and a story describing the character trait, a “catch-phrase” for the children to memorize, a virtue “antonym” to help the child know how NOT to act, a helpful scripture, ideas for teaching the children, and how to apologize when you do not display the virtue. 
 
My girls really enjoy saying the catch phrase and it makes it easy for me to remind them when they forget to act rightly. I simply say the first word or two in the phrase and they sheepishly grin and finish the phrase for me and realize that they need to apologize. We also bought the 100 days of virtue chart and stickers because my girls love sticker charts and it has also been very helpful. 
 
The materials are a little more pricey than I would prefer, but it was worth it to us to find something that my girls absolutely love to study to teach them godly virtues.

No comments: